Career NYC high school teacher, district representative for the United Federation of Teachers, participated in the design and implemention of school-based budgeting initiatives in a school district, instructor at the New School University, reviewer on NYS State Education SURR review process and Redesign Panels, education consultant, created and supported small high schools, represent union members at interest arbitrations and ocassional writer on Edwize.org blog.
- Legerdemain: Can We Trust the State Test Scores? and, Does it Matter? Shouldn’t We Ask: Why Are Some Schools Succeeding and Others Struggling?
- Should Pre-K Classrooms Be “Play-Based” or Have a Common Core Standards -Based Academic Component?
- New York State Grades 3-8 Test Scores Released: “Flat” or “Modest Gains.” All With a Yawn
- Are New York State Common Core Grades 3-8 Tests Valid, Reliable and Stable Reflectors of Student Achievement?
- The Rise of Public Value Governance: Are Attacks on Tenure, Privatization and Outcomes-Driven Policies Fading?
- Why Do Liberals Hate Tenure? Remembering John Lindsay, Liberals and the 1968 Strike.
- Punishing Students With Disabilities: The Feds Turn Down New York State Request to Exempt Students With Serious Handicaps from State Tests.
- Cuomo and the Common Core: Will Another Round of “Below Proficient” Scores Force Cuomo to Scuttle His Committment to the Common Core?
- School Leadership: Is the Department Recruiting and Supporting the “Best and the Brightest” School Leaders? and, If Not, Why Not?
- The Dropout Crisis: Why Are Teachers Leaving? The Job? Management? or the Generation?