Career NYC high school teacher, district representative for the United Federation of Teachers, participated in the design and implemention of school-based budgeting initiatives in a school district, instructor at the New School University, reviewer on NYS State Education SURR review process and Redesign Panels, education consultant, created and supported small high schools, represent union members at interest arbitrations and ocassional writer on Edwize.org blog.
- The Albany Budget Dance: The Governor Leads, the Legislature Follows, With An Occasional Stumble
- The Most Effective Anti-Poverty Program: The New York City (CUNY) and State University (SUNY) Systems (Especially CCNY)
- Creating Pathways to Teaching (Not Building Walls): Eliminating the Academic Literacy Skills Test Will Produce More and More Effective Teachers
- The Suspension Conundrum: Do Suspensions Improve Behavior and Academic Outcomes for All Students or, a Pipeline to Dropping Out and Prison?
- Charter Schools, Obamacare and the Airlines: Will the Marketplace or Government-Guided Interventions Create Workable Solutions? Will We Learn from Failures?
- The Budget Season: The Governor and the Legislature Work to Craft a Budget Before the April 1 Deadline (with lots of horse-trading)
- Why a New York State Constitutional Convention is a VERY BAD idea and Must Be Defeated at the Polls in November
- Should Research Precede Program Creation/Implementation?Is It Too Much to Expect That Education Decisions Are Guided by Evidence?
- New York State Graduation Rates: Are We Sacrificing Student Achievement to Increase Graduation Rates?
- Who Stays? Who Moves? Who Leaves? Teacher Preparation, Teacher Induction and Teacher Quality