Career NYC high school teacher, district representative for the United Federation of Teachers, participated in the design and implemention of school-based budgeting initiatives in a school district, instructor at the New School University, reviewer on NYS State Education SURR review process and Redesign Panels, education consultant, created and supported small high schools, represent union members at interest arbitrations and ocassional writer on Edwize.org blog.
- Is It Time to Review High School Graduation Requirements? Regents Exams? Computer Science as a Required Course? Authentic Assessments?
- New York State United Teachers (NYSUT): Impeding Student Progress and Education Reform or Defending the Rights of Students, Parents and Teachers?
- “Evening the Playing Field:” Will the ESSA Accountability Plan Acknowledge the Work of Teachers in “Truly Disadvantaged” Schools? Will the plan be “Equitable?”
- ESSA, Lake WoeBeGone and Confronting Authentic Assessments and the Pernicious Impact of Poverty
- Creating an ESSA Accountability Plan Without Re-Creating Another NCLB
- Is New York State Facing a Budget Crisis? We Have Won a Battle, the War Will Be Long and Difficult
- The Albany Budget Dance: The Governor Leads, the Legislature Follows, With An Occasional Stumble
- The Most Effective Anti-Poverty Program: The New York City (CUNY) and State University (SUNY) Systems (Especially CCNY)
- Creating Pathways to Teaching (Not Building Walls): Eliminating the Academic Literacy Skills Test Will Produce More and More Effective Teachers
- The Suspension Conundrum: Do Suspensions Improve Behavior and Academic Outcomes for All Students or, a Pipeline to Dropping Out and Prison?